We supply and install Clipsal photoelectric smoke alarms
Did you know that in Queensland, about three-quarters of all house fire deaths occur in houses that don’t have smoke alarms installed? Almost half of those deaths occurred when the occupants were asleep. When you are asleep you lose your ability to smell. If a fire breaks out while you are asleep a smoke detector may be the only thing that’s going to protect you.
Recently on 1 Jan 2017 new legislation was introduced. The legislation specifies what type of smoke alarm must be used, where it must be positioned, and how it must be connected. Although in some cases it’s not compulsory to comply with the new legislation until 1 Jan 2027, it is recommended that you upgrade to the new law as soon as you can.
Our Smoke Alarm Services
- Replacement of existing ionisation smoke alarms with photoelectric
- Smoke alarm installations
- Rental property testing and certification
Smoke Alarm Laws – Existing Homes
- Any smoke alarm that was manufactured more that 10 years ago must be replaced with a photoelectric smoke alarm.
- Smoke alarms must be located in the passage way adjacent to a bedroom, and at least one smoke alarm must be on each level of your home.
- It’s also recommended that smoke alarms are installed in all of the bedrooms, and all smoke alarms are interconnected so that if one alarm goes off they all go off.
Smoke Alarm Legislation – Important Dates
From 1 Jan 2017 – New homes and substantially renovated homes
From 1 Jan 2022 – Any home that is leased or sold
From 1 Jan 2027 – All homes
- All smoke alarms must be photoelectric and must not contain an ionisation sensor.
- A smoke alarm must be either hardwired or powered by a non removeable 10 year battery.
- A smoke alarm must be located in every bedroom and in the passage way adjacent to that bedroom. If you have no bedrooms on a storey, you must have at least one smoke alarm installed in the most likely path of travel to exit the home.
- All smoke alarms must be interconnected so that If one goes off, they all go off.
Click here for further information Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
Like a Free Quote?
Simply fill out the contact form below and provide us with as much detail as you can and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Contact Us Today for a FREE Quote
0417 799 303
Monday – Friday 7.00am – 4.00pm