Why switch to LED lights?
With electricity prices on the rise, it’s time to think about replacing those potentially dangerous halogen downlights. To assist you in making an informed decision, we have listed the main advantages of switching to LED downlights. If you require any further information please send us a message or give us a call.
Our services include:
- Supply and installation of high quality LED downlights
- Supply and replacement of existing halogen downlights
- You supply your own lights and we’ll install them
- The installation of LED flood lights, LED light bars & LED ceiling lights
LED vs Halogen
Why are LED lights so much better?
Significantly less risk of fire
Have you ever felt the heat coming off of a halogen downlight? The surface temperature of a hot halogen
lamp is approx. 300 degrees Celsius. This can become a fire hazard when the LED Downlight is not installed correctly.
Halogen downlights are at risk of causing a fire when:
- They are mounted too close to a surrounding timber structure.
- The halogen transformer is too close to the halogen lamp.
- Insulation has been placed too close to, or over the top of, the light or its associated transformer.
- The light has been mounted into a confined space with no ventilation.
- There are leaves or any other combustible items in close proximity to the downlight.
- Electrical cables are too close to the downlight
The surface temperature of an LED light is approx. 50 degrees Celsius making them a much safer alternative.
LED Downlights have a much longer lifespan
The average reported lifespan of an LED downlight is between 30000 and 50000 hours.
Let’s assume that in a normal home that the average light is on in the evening for around about 5 hours.
That’s 35 hours each week or 1820 hours per year. So, assuming that the downlight did last for 30000 hours, that would equate to approx. 16 years of normal use.
In comparison, the average reported lifespan of a halogen bulb is between 1000 and 2000 hours.
LED lights use up to 82% less electricity
The amount of light that is emitted from a light fitting is measured in lumens. A 50w halogen produces approx. 550 – 650 lumens. For this comparison we are going to use a 9w Led downlight which produces 700 lumens. It’s also important to remember the transformer that is attached to the halogen downlight can also use up to 10 watts but this hasn’t been included in the following calculation.
Okay so assuming that a 9w LED downlight will provide the same amount of light as a 50w halogen then we can make the following calculation.
(1 – (9 / 50)) * 100 = 82% reduction in electricity
If you assume that there might be 20 lights that are running each evening then that would equate to an annual saving of $403.45. That’s $20.17 per light saved per year.
Reduced maintenance costs – No light bulbs to change
Most modern LED downlights no longer have a light bulb that periodically requires changing. They are a sealed unit. This can be a real bonus for some people that find it hard to climb up a ladder to replace the lamp. Its also great when the light fitting is in a position that difficult to reach.
You can choose the colour of light that is emitted
LED downlights can dramatically change the look and feel of your home. Its amazing how different a room looks just by changing the colour temperature of the light.
There are 3 main colours available:
- Warm White (3000k) – This is very similar to the colour of light that’s produced by most incandescent light fittings. It’s has a softer warmer sort of hue.
- Cool White (4000k) – This is a bit “whiter” than warm white. It makes the room feel fresh and inviting.
- Daylight (5000k) – Just like the name says, it’s like daylight.
Like a Free Quote?
Simply fill out the contact form below and provide us with as much detail as you can and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
The following information is helpful but not necessary
- Is your ceiling insulated and if so, what type of insulation is it?
- Is your home a single storey house, a double storey, an apartment, …?
- Are you replacing existing lights or installing new lights?
0417 799 303
Monday – Friday 7.00am – 4.00pm